Five-Spice Quorn Buns
2.952380952381 out of 5, 1 based on 21 ratings
Chinese five spice and Shaoxing wine mixed together to give delicious flavors to Quorn Chunks all served in a finger-pleasing cuapao bun. A healthy meal idea that’s unforgettable!
- 200g Quorn Chunks
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. Chinese five spice
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsp. shaoxing wine/dry sherry
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp. sweet soy sauce
- 8 pieces cuapao buns, halved
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves, picked and washed
- 4 tbsp. peanuts, chopped
- Mix five spice, sugar, shaoxing wine, soy sauce, water, and sweet soy sauce in a bowl.
- When fully combined, evenly half mixture into two pots. One half will be for making the sauce, and one half will be used to cook with the Quorn Chunks.
- To make the sauce, reduce ½ of the sauce over medium heat until sticky, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Set a separate pan to medium heat and add oil. Place the Quorn Chunks in the oil and cook for about 6-8 minutes, or until Quorn is golden brown.
- Add the remaining half of the sauce and let the mixture cook until the sauce is thick and the Quorn Chunks are cooked through, about 10 minutes. Turn up the heat and allow Quorn to brown and caramelize for an additional 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat the cuapao buns in a steam basket.
- Cut the buns in half and divide the Quorn Chunks evenly among the buns.
- Glaze the Quorn Chunks with the sticky sauce and fill each bun with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Plate and serve.