Quorn Meat-Free Lasagna
3 out of 5, 1 based on 26 ratings
Bring a taste of authentic Italy to your kitchen with this vegetarian version of the classic lasagne. Luxurious layers of pasta, creamy white sauce and rich ragu with delicious Quorn Mince makes this dish impossible to resist!
- 150 ml olive oil
- 500 g Quorn Grounds
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- ¼ cup carrots, diced
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 g tomato sauce
- 500 g spaghetti sauce
- 2 tbsp. Chopped fresh oregano or dried pregano
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- Pinch garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. red wine
- ¼ cup sugar to taste (optional)
- 9 pcs. Pre-cooked Lasagna Noodles
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 24 ounces mozzarella cheese, grated
- 4 ounces freshly grated vegetarian parmesan cheese
For the sauce
- In a large pan heat olive oil on medium-high heat.
- Add in the Quorn Grounds and cook until lightly browned on all sides.
- Remove the Quorn Grounds from the pan using a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl.
- Add the diced onion, carrots and celery to the skillet or pan and cook for 4 - 5 minutes until the onions are translucent and the carrots and celery have softened.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for about half a minute.
- Return the lightly browned Quorn Grounds to the pan. Stir to combine. Reduce the heat to low-temperature and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce to the pan. Add the oregano and Italian seasoning, adjusting the amount to taste.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder and red wine. Then, stir in sugar a tbsp. at a time. Add salt to taste.
- Bring the sauce to a simmer and lower the heat to low to maintain a low simmer. Cook for about 15 - 45 minutes, stirring often. Remove from the heat.
Assembling the lasagna
- In a casserole or lasagna dish, ladle a cup of sauce and spread it over the bottom of the dish.
- Arrange 1 layer of lasagna noodles lengthwise (about 3 long noodles, edge may overlap depending on your pan) over the sauce.
- Ladle a third of the remaining sauce over the noodles.
- Sprinkle a layer of a third of the grated mozzarella on top of lasagna sauce.
- Add half of the ricotta cheese.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese evenly over the top of ricotta cheese.
- Apply second layer of noodles and top it with half of the remaining sauce.
- Add half of the remaining mozzarella and ricotta cheese, plus another thin sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
- Finish with another layer of noodles.
- Spread the remaining sauce over the top layer of noodles and sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Tent the lasagna pan with aluminum foil (not touching noodles or sauce). Bake at 375 °F for about 45 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.